Geometry can be one of the most difficult subjects of math you find in high school. With so many figures, types of angles and formulas to remember, you may start to feel like you’re swimming in a sea of confusion. Read this article to be guided through how to solve a common geometry, calculating the sum of the same side exterior angles of a polygon.
4 Photos Gallery of: How to calculate the sum of the same side exterior angles
Calculating the sum of same side exterior angles of a polygon
- Subtract the measure of each interior angle of 180 for the measurement of the corresponding exterior angle. If you draw a continuous straight out on each side of the polygon, you could see not only internal but also external angles. We know that a straight line is a measure of 180, so if you subtract the measure of the interior angle (180 degrees total straight line), then what’s left will be the external angle. In mathematical terms, the external and internal angles are complementary. This procedure should be followed for both regular and irregular polygons.
- Some measurements of all external angles of the polygon. It should be 360, because that is the sum of the same side exterior angles of all polygons.
- Use the knowledge that the sum of exterior angles of any polygon wills always 360, to facilitate the task of finding the measurements of the external angles of a polygon next time.
- Determine the measure of its same side exterior angles dividing 360 by the number of sides of the polygon when dealing with a regular polygon.
- Determine the measure of an exterior angle specific, if you have the measurements of all other external angles, adding all other external measures of angles and then subtracting that number from 360 in the case of an irregular polygon.
Measuring the interior angles of a polygon
- Determine if the polygon with which you are working is regular or irregular. A regular polygon is a figure whose sides and angles are all the same size, and all others are irregular.
- Use equation 180 * (n-2) if coping with a normal polygon, where n is the quantity of sides inside the polygon contained to find the sum of the company’s interior angles. Then, to determine the extent of the internal angles of the regular polygon, simply divide the sum of the internal angles of n, since this is the number of sides and angles of the regular polygon.
3. Use the measurements provided by the problem if you are working with an irregular polygon.